I took a few moments last night to look at my goals I set for the year in January here. What I found out is that I’m not sure I was tough enough on myself. I set a few challenges that I thought would be tough and they were a challenge but I stayed away from a mileage goal. I was never sure really how far these two legs (and let’s confess sometimes hands when I had to crawl to get finished) could take me.
In the back of my mind I was thinking I could try to make a goal of 1200 miles in a year but I never wrote it down. I guess you can say I just let things happen. Well last night I took a look at my miles. I was shocked. I never thought I would run as far as I have. As of today (after my 10 mile treadmill run at the gym because there was no way I was going to get outside in the cold, windy conditions) my grand total is 1054.59 miles. Holy crap! If I stay with the goal of 1200 miles, I should be able to actually hit that by the end of the month or close. Then I can take next month off right?! Well, we all know that will never happen! Life is too busy and crazy for me to stop running! How will I process all the crazy?
Here is how my goals have gone:
- Complete my first trilogy of half-marathons hosted by BA Events (already signed up for the first one in February.) – Completed it at the beginning of October! Can’t wait to get my “free” jacket in February.
- Run my second marathon and make it a much better marathon than my first in regards to preparation. – Well the second marathon was not so good and in fact it was my worse time ever but my 3rd marathon that I ran (and didn’t include in my goals because I didn’t plan on doing it until May) was my best marathon ever! So much fun, found a new friend and now I’ve signed up for OKC in April and hoping for an even better finish.
- Continue with my at least one race a month so I have a goal for each month to keep me motivated to run. – 3 more races planned – 2 for November and 1 for December. I did pretty good with this. I did not run a race in July or August due to how hot it was but I did 3 run/races in June and will still finish the year 14 races in the books! I would say that’s pretty good and I am motivated to keep going. Already looking for and signing up for races next year!
- Actively participate in my new running club (all signed up but haven’t done a run with them) – I did a few races with them this summer which is not great participation but I will keep my membership up and see if I can be involved with a few more next year.
- Enjoy running! – OH yes I do. I am having a lot of fun, learning to relax at races and not take them so seriously and wonderful things are happening. I love the running community!
I guess I will add on with number 6: 1200 miles for the year. What a crazy number! I wonder what next years will be?